Public Health Policy
For the safety of all our attendees, we have the following policies in place for Big Bad Con 2023:
- Masks that provide KN95 or better protection are required in all convention spaces. We’ll be giving out free Big Bad Con KN95 masks to all attendees!
- All attendees must show proof of COVID vaccination before entering the con. Make sure to pack that vaccination card, update your app, or take a pic before you head out.
- We request that all attendees take COVID tests and confirm they are negative before the con. We’ll have free rapid tests available upon request.
- As part of our community standards of respect, support, and kindness, we ask before giving hugs or making other physical contact.
Keeping ourselves and each other safe is part of our community standards of respect, support, and kindness. We know that risk tolerances are different for everyone, so what might seem like overkill to one person, might still not be enough for others. We’re looking out for our most vulnerable attendees. Together, we believe we can host a wonderful event.
COVID Screening Arrival Procedure
When you first arrive at Big Bad Con, before entering the convention spaces:
- Proceed to the COVID check-in table, located at the base of the south stairwell (map). Please don’t enter the Grand Foyer (where convention registration is located) or any other convention area until you first check in with the COVID screening team.
- At the COVID screening table, a ranger will ask for proof of vaccination, check to see if you have had a recent negative test (and offer a free rapid test if you haven’t), offer a Big Bad Con KN-95 mask, and give you a wristband signifying your vaccination has been verified and that you can enter the rest of the convention.
Every participant must be present with their own vaccination verification materials (i.e. physical vaccination card or digital proof).
While in line please remain cognizant of social distancing even if it means that the lines may end up trailing outdoors. We want the check-in process to be as smooth as possible and get everyone back into gaming as soon as possible.
Health and Safety Acknowledgement
Please be advised that risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any event or public space, including Big Bad Con. Prior to registering for and attending the event, please ensure you have read the latest CDC Guidelines for Prevention and taken a COVID test within 72 hours of attending.
By attending the event, you acknowledge this inherent risk on behalf of yourself and/or any minor attending the event for which you serve as guardian (collectively, “You”) and, as a condition of entering the event, You acknowledge, understand, and confirm each of the following in accordance with applicable health guidelines:
- You will abide by all terms of admission and participation (as may be updated from time to time) and event health-and-safety requirements at all times;
- You are not currently experiencing any of the following symptoms of COVID-19 not attributable to preexisting health conditions, as identified at CDC.gov, including, but not limited to:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- That prior to attending the event You have not been in contact with someone with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 symptoms without completing a CDC-recommended quarantine;
- You are not under any self-quarantine or isolation orders or subject to any CDC self-quarantine or isolation protocol; and
- You are fully vaccinated from COVID-19, meaning at the time you are attending it has been at least fourteen (14) days since:
- Your second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series approved or authorized by the FDA or by the WHO, or
- Your single dose of a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine authorized by the FDA or by the WHO.
You may not enter the event or the event venue if you cannot confirm all of the above criteria. If at any point during your time at the event you do not meet all of the above criteria, you will be required to isolate and may be relocated or asked to leave the venue at the sole discretion of event management.
Approved Face Coverings
Approved face coverings are required to be worn by everyone at Big Bad Con at all times, including during move-in and move-out.
All face coverings must, at a minimum, fit properly and closely on the face without any gaps along the edges or around the nose, fully covering your nose and mouth, and secure under your chin. They must provide N95, KN95, KF94, or better protection.
- Face coverings with exhalation valves
- Mesh materials
- Cloth Masks
- Costume Masks
Mask Optional Events
We have three mask optional events:
- POC Dinner (Friday 7PM in the Poolside Pavilion)
- POC Meet & Greet (Saturday 7PM in the Atrium)
- Wolf Run (Sunday 7AM outside)
These events are mask optional, either because food will be served or because they involve running outside. We still recommend wearing a mask whenever possible.
Food & Drink
We encourage Big Bad Con attendees to limit eating, drinking, and mask breaks to non-convention and outdoor spaces like the hotel bar and poolside whenever possible. We recognize that limiting eating and drinking can present its own safety and health issues for many members of our community, and we ask that you do your best to respect this policy while balancing your own needs and risks.
Here are some nearby locations outside the convention spaces:
- Atrium restaurants, bar, market, and mezzanine.
- Individual guest rooms
- Nearby restaurants.
Some solutions to minimize exposure when eating or drinking in convection spaces:
- Straws in drinks can go under masks
- Taking regular breaks at the game table to go to an eating area
- Regular check-ins at tables around eating needs
- Replace your mask in between bites and sips
Some variants are still very contagious outside and recommend masking outside when in the company of others.
Hyatt Hotel Information
The Hyatt ventilation systems meet and exceed industrial filtration requirements:
- MERV-8 in public spaces and MERV-10 in sleeping/gaming rooms.
- MERV-15 filters pulling air up and exhausting it through the roof in the Atrium.
COVID-19 Support Resources
In the event that you contract COVID-19 just before, during, or shortly after Big Bad Con, we’ve gathered resources to help you isolate and get treatment.
Please note: The guidelines in this document are based on information currently available regarding the behavior and characteristics of the COVID-19 virus, public health information, and local or state guidelines with respect to large gatherings. As more clarity with respect to these variables emerges, it is expected that these guidelines may need to be adjusted accordingly.