The Wolf met today with the Hilton and found out that Building 5 (where we normally host the con) will be undergoing renovation while we’re there. We live in exciting times!
There is good news though!
Building 3 is just down the hall from Building 5, and we’re getting 19 private gaming rooms in there that:
- Are all on the ground floor
- Will have the beds removed (previously they were just going to be turn up against the wall)
- Have patios in some of the rooms
- Will all be ready for use by 3PM on Friday (previously 1/2 the rooms weren’t available till 6PM)
Also the hotel has throw in a few extras:
- We’ll have a second reception/lobby/hangout area in Building 3 (more hangout space).
- All the guests rooms (which will now be in Building 3) will have mini-fridges included.
Gaming spaces highlighted in yellow
Building 5 will still be used for Games on Demand, LARPs, open gaming, and other large events!
Yesterday the Hilton sent confirmation that they will not wave the overcharge from last year, and that it must be paid before we can book there again.
So, the hunt for another home is on! While nobody has taken the Hotel Liason position yet (though many people have contacted The Wolf to offer support, you all rock!) we still would benefit quite a bit from crowd-sourcing leads.
This is what the con is looking for in a hotel:
- Located in the East Bay
- Has 5500+ square feet of meeting room space (preferably broken up into several smaller rooms)
- Is willing to convert private rooms into game rooms
- Close to multiple food options
- Reasonable guest room rates (can you find a room for $150 or less there on a travel site like Expedia)
- [Optional but preferable] A place you already have some relationship with that we could springboard off of
Here are the hotels that we’ve already investigated and ruled out either because they couldn’t accommodate the con or because their rates were too high:
- Hilton Oakland Airport
- San Ramon Marriott
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Waterfront Hotel
- Oakland Holiday Inn Express
- Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel Oakland
- Oakland Marriott City Center
- The Marina Inn on San Francisco Bay
- Coral Reef Inn & Suites
- The Inn at Jack London Square
- Berkeley City Club
- The Washington Inn Hotel
- Holiday Inn Oakland Airport
- Oakland Convention Center
- Courtyard Oakland Airport
- Red Lion Oakland Hotel Airport
- Comfort Inn and Suites (multiple locations)
- Quality Inn (multiple locations)
- La Quinta (multiple locations)
There are about 30 more that we’ve looked at and just from their websites could tell wouldn’t be big enough for us.
Know a place that has what we need? Please let us know! (On Comments, G+ posts, or email thewolf at bigbadcon).
The program is complete. Here’s all the deets about Big Bad Con!
We have rooms! Fifteen (15) rooms have been added to the block! As expected they don’t have the full con discount, but they are still lower than the standard hotel rate. Enough so you can afford to buy the The Wolf a drink or two!
The new block is available Friday – Monday for $129/night. Click here to book at the the con rate, or call 510-635-5000 and used group code BBC.
As many folks have probably found out the hard way, the room block for Big Bad Con has filled up. We’re working our little goat tails off trying to get more rooms added, but it’s slow going. Raiders are storming Oakland that weekend and instead of pillaging gold and treasures, they are taking up rooms at the Hilton (read: Football weekend).
Our recommendation is to book a room at the normal con rate ($159/night) and then stay tuned for updates about new blocks opening. If they do, you can cancel your standard rate booking and book under the con rate.
Note: I’ve been told if/when they do open a new block it may not be at the $99 date, but should still be less than $159.
Update as of 9/13/2013 – We have rooms. More details here.